MUSHROOM AND CHICKPEA BURGER
These gluten-free and vegan burgers with 10 ingredients are crisped up in the oven as a smash burger. Everyone likes burgers with veggie mushrooms. It is not the meat substitute that is so much more than a great veggie burger.
A hearty, delicious, warm sandwich, maybe with a little melted cheese, and a fried egg. The crunchy salad and the wise use of somemustard or aioli!
It is all about a crusty sourdough sandwich. The variations of flavors make it one of the best burgers.
(1) 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
(2) 1/2 cup quinoa, red or black, rinsed
(3) Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon
(4) For drizzling, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
(5) 2 (14.5-oz.) cans of rinsed, drained chickpeas
(6) 1 teaspoon of Powdered garlic
(7) 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika (Smoked)
(8) 8 oz. Crimini mushrooms, sliced into 1/4" pieces and trimmed
(9) 1/4 cup of Tahini
(10) 1/4 cup of White Miso
(11) 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour or oat flour
(12) 8 Slices of Shredded cheddar or vegan cheese
(13) Mayonnaise, mustard, shredded iceberg lettuce, hamburger buns, and sliced pickles
(for serving; optional)
Tips and Suggestions
Patties can be prepared 3 months in advance. Store it in a resealable freezer bag and
keep in freezer.
(1) In a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, cook quinoa, stirring occasionally, for
8-10 minutes, until tender. Drain thoroughly and cool for at least 10 minutes.
(2) Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup of oil in a medium-high large nonstick skillet. Add the chickpeas
(make sure they are well drained) and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally,
until lightly browned. To coat, add garlic powder and paprika and toss a few times.
Transfer to a wide bowl and leave to cool for five minutes or so.
(3) In a bowl of chickpeas, add mushrooms, tahini, miso, and 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash
with a potato masher or use a fork to mix. Add the quinoa and flour and mash until the
mixture is kept together in your hand when squeezed. If needed, taste and season with
salt. Form and arrange on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet into 8 patties. Freeze
until strong, for approximately 2 hours. The patties can be baked at this stage, or they
can remain frozen for up to 3 months. Transfer to resealable freezer bags or layer
between patties in an airtight container with sheets of parchment.
(4) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle the frozen patties generously with oil on both
sides and spread them on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake the patties for 25-30 minutes
until browned and crisp. Place a cheese slice on top of each patty and bake for about 1
minute until the cheese is melted.
(5) Spread with mayonnaise and mustard (if using) on the cut sides of buns. Place the
burgers on top of the bottom buns. Top (if used) with lettuce and pickles and close-up
Ready For: 1 hour
Recipe Type: Snacks